Skip to main content

Handmade Orechiette with Tomaresca Neprica #ItalianFWT


This month the Italian Food Wine & Travel group to which I belong is traveling - by table and goblet - to Puglia with Katarina of Grapevine Adventures leading the event. You can read her preview post: Wine Between Two Seas in Puglia


About Puglia
From the map you can see why she calls it 'between two seas'. Puglia forms the heel of Italy's boot. Though I never made it to Puglia in the 13 months I lived in Rome - blush, blush - I will definitely add it to my list of places I want to visit. Boasting almost 500 miles of coastline, this seaside-loving gal would be very content to find a beach, uncork a bottle, and read a book. Many books...with many bottles of wine!

But I have always been intrigued by the trulli, white mushroom-shaped dwellings from the Middle Ages, in Alberobello. One of these days, I'll make it there.

With a population of just 4 million, the region provides nearly half of the country's olive oil, approximately 300,000 metric tons each year. And while famous for its olive oil, recent years have brought Puglia to the forefront with its red wine varieties.

Deeper Explorations of Puglia



In My Glass
Though Katarina lined up a wine sponsor for the event, the shipments weren't received in time, so I went on the hunt for my own Pugliese wine and came up with this bottle, a 2010 Neprica from the Tomaresca estate. I had to laugh when I realized that Neprica was simply the first few letters of each of the grapes in the red wine blend. 'Ne' from the Negroamaro grape that comprises 40% of the blend; 'Pri' from the 30% Primitivo addition; and 'Ca' from the Cabernet Sauvignon that makes up the remainder of the fruit in the wine.

This vintage was named one of the 'Top 10 Best Bargain Wines in the World' by Food & Wine Magazine. And, was it well-deserved, you ask? Yes, yes it was. I found this bottle at my local BevMo store for just under $12 and I wish I had purchased more. It's a great everyday-priced wine that tastes much more expensive.

It's a mid-weight red - not too light, not too heavy. With vibrant fruit on the tongue and flowers and spices on the nose, it'll be a solid addition to my wine rotation and something to uncork with just about any pasta dish we make!



On My Plate
Speaking of pasta, one very traditional Pugliese pasta is orechiette whose name means 'little ears.'


You can sort of see that shape here, right? Well I've always bought pre-made orechiette, but the boys were still out of school on Winter Break, so I decided to rope them into making it for me. They did a great job. And, now that I know how easy it is to make, I will certainly be making these more often. I love that they are hand-formed, so I don't have to get out - and, then clean - my pasta roller.

Ingredients 
makes approximately 7 or 8 dozen

  • 2 C semolina flour
  • 1 C all-purpose flour + more for rolling
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 C warm water
  • 1 to 2 T olive oil
  • Also needed: food processor, wax paper, butter knife, parchment or silicone-mat lined baking sheets

Procedure

You can do the blending by hand, but I did it in my food processor. Place the semolina and flour in the bowl of your food processor. Place the lid on top and open up your chute. Pour in about 1/4 C water and pulse. Repeat until you have used all the water or the dough begins to come together in a ball. Pour in the olive oil and pulse to incorporate.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board or table. Gently knead until the dough feels smooth. You can wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest - or not. We didn't.


Roll the dough out into a thick rope.


Then cut the rope into 1/2" pieces. Now you're to the fun part!


With floured hands, roll your knuckle into the dough to form the 'ear'.


Roll the ear off of your palm and place it on a floured baking sheet.


Repeat until all of the dough is used. Now you can cook it immediately or let it air dry for later. We cooked it the night we rolled them.


Bring water to a boil and cook the orechiette in batches. These will take about 8 to 9 minutes to cook. It's a little bit longer than other fresh pastas, but it's worth the wait.

To serve, drain and toss with your favorite sauce. For this dinner, I split the batches and made one with fresh pesto for me and the Enthusiastic Kitchen Elf and a salmon-cream sauce for Jake and the Precise Kitchen Elf.


The wine was delicious with both! Cin cin. Next month, Lynn of Savor the Harvest will host. Stay tuned for the theme.

Comments

  1. I am going to have to make my own orecchiette now that I see how easy it is. Thanks Cam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was super easy...and the boys said that it was even easier than gnocchi.

      Delete
  2. Your boys make it all look so easy! It's so fun that cooking is such a part of your family time - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it was my duty to teach them since my husband can't cook a thing!

      Delete
  3. Bravo to your boys for making beautiful handmade orecchiette! That's it...I'm inspired to make them by hand next time! BTW - I don't think I've ever heard of "Neprica" before, but if I see it I will feel very savvy knowing what it is now that I've read this! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. Making orechiette is SO easy. My boys say it's easier than gnocchi.

      Delete
  4. We just started making our own pasta this year, and now I’m excited to try this version. My kids love making it, especially when they have friends over.

    Thanks for explaining the details here!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce